Friday 11 September 2009

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

No good deed goes unpunished - that’s what a bloke I know taught me - maybe he's a little cynical? Turns out he isn't. He's bang on.

A friend recommended me to do some work on a Peugeot 206 CC - front disks and pads - piece of cake. The owner had been quoted silly money by the garage so I quoted high meaning high profits for me and a huge saving for the owner - win, win! I ordered the parts and on a day off from my day job, settled down to work thinking I’d be done in an hour with cash in my pocket and a day to waste – all good, until I touched the first bolt that is!

Locking wheel nuts are the spawn of Satan. End of. Particularly when you’re running stock alloys that you couldn’t give away let alone worry about being stolen – I mean, people don’t nick wheels any more; they aren’t worth anything unless they are something out of the ordinary.

So, an hours work and a quick buck turns into a day and a half of messing around and merely breaking even. Great. Few more jobs like that I’d be piss poor and want to top myself. After several wasted hours and 20 quid’s worth of drill bits, I called in a pro – it took him 10 mins but cost me £50 – whatever; at this stage I was just pleased to get the flaming wheel off. The next bolt came off, calipers removed, pads out – progress. Then I had to go get another tool – more money gone. Then when I finally got to swap the disks I realize I got given the wrong ones. Call GSF, they have them in stock, struggle through rush hour traffic to get there, no they don’t. Cocks.

Finally took the car back last night. Glad to see the back of it. It was a horrible car anyway, a French convertible? Please, that’s asking for trouble. My 190e, which is 14 years older with twice the mileage, drives nicer. Anyway. Anyone need help with anything? Tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment