Monday 7 September 2009

get me to the church on time....

On Saturday I went to a wedding - a couple of friends of my other half. It was a Church wedding at St Marys Church in Sompting, followed by a reception at the Dome Cinema in Worthing - http://www.domecinema.co.uk/

Anyway. I have now wholeheartedly decided that I do not like Church weddings. Aside from the fact that Churches are quite nice places aesthetically, they have little else going from them. I assume the guy who designed pews (or benches, or whatever they're called) studied his ‘How To Ruin Human Posture By Poor Seat Design’ manuals long and hard before making these things – I’m not surprised people aren’t keen on going to church – its actually painful.

The whole event felt awkward and clumsy with lots of delays, whispering and awkward silences. It dragged on, was far too religious and irrelevant and included several prayers where we had to sit quietly and look at the floor – I thought weddings were meant to be a joyous occasion?

Just as I was clinging onto my last reserves of will to live, the hymns started. Dull, boring tunes that no one likes or knows the words/tunes to – aside from the vicar and a few of the older congregation, I saw nothing more than miming – although my other half sang the first verse (surprisingly well I hasten to add) before realizing that I wasn’t kidding when I said I don’t sing in public.

The reception was great. Nice venue, great speeches, good food and a rat-pack singer - all very enjoyable. Met a few nice people and picked up some nice comments about my pink shoes. All good :)

1 comment: