Thursday 3 September 2009

FFS - doesnt rain, but it pours....

I had an E55 amg for the past couple of years - lovely car. But, I always hankered after another 190e 16v (see http://www.mercedes-cosworth.co.uk/ for an explanation of my obsession), anyway, long boring story short, I recently managed to swap the E55 for a 16v.

Great I hear you say, a win win for all. No. Far from it. The 16v ended up being in far worse condition than I thought and, to cut another story short, ended up needing £700 in parts and several weeks of evenings and weekends work to get it all up together. I completed this work a couple weeks ago and for the last 10 days or so have finally managed to enjoyed driving the car.

Until today. I realised the tax expired at the end of Aug. I checked the file to see the MOT followed suit so booked it in for an MOT - it failed. Nice. So, in the past 8 weeks, I've gone from a perfectly operational, albeit prohibitively expensive V8 AMG, to my other half’s Seat Arosa - now, an Arosa is to driving experiences what Osma Bin Laden is to the peace process and whilst I appreciate the other half letting me use her car, at the end of the day its awful; its small, noisy, slow and it smells funky as the previous owner had a dog that clearly spent a lot of time in the car. Overtaking is something that has to be planned at least 3 miles in advance and most journeys irritate the hell out of me!

The whole no tax, mot, car thing reared its head this morning (when I’m rarely at my best) and resulted in my getting the raging hump and arguing with the other half. Nice. Over the next few weeks I'll neglect her some more while I mess around with the car trying to get it up and running, again! Anyone got a subframe for a 190e? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment